Wednesday, November 11, 2009

A New Definition of Success

I am a writer. Saying that out loud still feels a bit strange, and a lot like jumping off a cliff.

What does it mean? Everything and nothing.

It is nothing, because everyone writes. Even the pre-historic or illiterate will find a way to define and scratch symbols in order to communicate and preserve meaning and importance. There are no expectations and no universal definition of success. No writer can be a Shakespeare any more than a scientist can be an Einstein. Innumerable writers and other artists were never consumed in their own lifetimes, and later became recognized as geniuses of new forms, styles and artistic productivity. The success continuum runs from self-delusion to celebrity. Every result between is an reasonable expectation or acceptable achievement.

And it is everything, because so few commit to writing as their means of productivity, contribution and sustenance. Those who do must be (according to the definitions of common and popular culture) either delusional or extraordinarily unique. Writers write to write, not for recognition. They succeed simply by committing pen to paper. They are rewarded by response, be it from themselves or another human.

So what is my new definition of success? Writing. Calling a written something "complete" or "publishable." Applying my art toward achievement of my highest and best purpose. I'm not sure what my highest and best purpose is (or will be). I am certain that writing is my vehicle.




I write like
H. P. Lovecraft
I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!



No comments:

Post a Comment