Sunday, August 15, 2010

My Purple Crayon

Harold and the Purple Crayon may be the most important book I've ever read.  Certainly I've read that book a thousand times more than any other, in part or whole.  I read it before I could read, and I read it today.

It teaches me the same lessons every time I read it.

  • Life is one walk in the moonlight.
  • With your purple crayon, you have the power and ability to create everything you need for your walk in the moonlight.  
  • Even when you forget that you have a purple crayon and the moon, they are there.  

What changes is me, my time and my context.  Every time I look, I'm on a different page.

Today, Harold and I are on page 18, which a vast improvement over page 17.  We, again, have many pages to turn and turn again.  It's a bit like a Super Spirograph design; There are any number of turns and cycles whirring again and again inside one simple, elegant and eloquent outline.  

I can't count the number of times I've re-started and re-cycled my life and learning through the pages of Harold.   I know that every start and cycle is held between the front and back cover.  I know that Harold's journey starts one evening when he decides to go for a walk in the moonlight, and ends before dawn when is purple crayon drops to the floor and he drops off to sleep.   Just like mine.  

No comments:

Post a Comment