Monday, August 16, 2010

The Harley-Davidson Pitch

28 July 2010

ATTN: Karen Davidson and the Marvelous Marketing Clan at HD
"Your Path is Behind You" is one of my personally copyrighted slogans. For a long time, I've wanted to pitch it to Harley Davidson for brand marketing/advertising.  Today is the day. 
If I were nearer Milwaukee, I'd write it on a post-it note with my phone number, do whatever it takes to get it onto your desk, and let the words speak for themselves.  I am in Florida, so I'll offer a few of my own words to illustrate:
I know you can see the still image of a woman on a Harley stopped at the top of a moraine, feet on the road.  You see her from the back, and can see the road road behind her while in front of her it dips off the horizon. She is facing her unknowable path with a confidence that comes only from experiencing, surviving her unique life.  She's still standing.  Her path is behind her. 
Also works for a man, a couple, a family, a dog in the sidecar? ...anyone, any time, any place.
I'm not going to give you the hard marketing/advertising pitch.  Why not get the point across on a post-it?  An email at the most.
Your statisticians can give you the numbers, and I alone can tell you how this slogan originated in a Chicago bar.  I was stressing over my career path, how I'd do what and when, how I might know and exceed expectations to get ahead like I "should."  Mac, the brilliant corporate superpower who was listening to me said, "Moira, your career path is what's behind you!"  My entire world rocked 180 degrees. 

I want Harley Davidson to adopt this slogan as its own and make marketing history with it.  I want every human on this planet to have their own unique experience with those words, and share the limitless wisdom of Mac's words.  I want "Your Path is Behind You" to be the slogan of HD culture.  Think of the stories, images and videos people will post.  Who has not survived any or every form of natural, economic and personal disaster?  Who has not cried tears of absolute joy at a birth or wedding and wondered, "What can possibly top this?"

Conventional wisdom says the Holy Grail of marketing is a bond of belonging with consumers.  Well, we got it.  Every human on the planet who has ever been exposed to popular culture knows that Harley means freedom.  Whether or not they ride, or even want to ride, they want Harley's brand of freedom.  Let's shout "Your Path is Behind You," watch heads turn 180 as they realize they already have Harley freedom...they already belong. They will buy. Even if it is just a t-shirt, they will buy it and they will not have to explain a thing...they belong.

Karen, let's make the magic.  How hard can it be?  Sure, money is an output. Money always follows good ideas that achieve execution. How that happens is open.  I want Mac to earn a share (won't HE be surprised). Regarding timing, today works for me.  I am, after all, a 47-year old poster child for the recession.  To build my own boat out of this recession, I am fueling every great idea I've ever had with focus and energy.  That happens to mean today is a good day for you and HD.

I'll write the first submission to the "Your Path is Behind You" culture club Web site.  In fact, that's a great idea...I'll write it and send it to you as a follow up. 
In the meantime, Let's talk.

[PII redacted for blog publication]


_____________________________

Check out the original design now! 


Women's ¾ Sleeve Boatneck Tee - Long Sleeve Shirts White Your path is behind you Long Sleeve Shirts
Spreadshirt Market Place Product
White Your path is behind you Long Sleeve Shirts

No comments:

Post a Comment